Across America there are probably more finger foods and appetizers consumed on Super Bowl Sunday than on any other day each year. So I thought I’d share my favorite Super Bowl party dish that’s easy to make and even easier to devour. While I can’t take credit for the recipe, I can take credit for the name.
If you take the few minutes it will cost you this Sunday to make this dish, you’ll see why I’ve dubbed it, “Jalapenos Gone to Heaven.” Now let’s get into what you’ll need.
Jalapenos (I don’t care how many you use, but just figure everyone who tries one will want about fifty.)
Cream cheese (Here’s where it gets complicated. Buy enough to fill your jalapenos!)
Bacon (This time buy enough to wrap those jalapenos! Factor about 1 slice per jalapeno.)
Seasoned salt (i.e.: All seasoning)
That’s it! I told you this would be easy. Now just follow along and get prepared to ride the stairway to heaven.
1. Wash your jalapenos and cut them down the middle the length of the jalapeno.Then cut the ribbing and seeds out of each jalapeno.
2. Fill each jalapeno half with cream cheese.
3. Now wrap each cream cheese filled jalapeno half with a piece of bacon securing the bacon to the jalapeno with a tooth pick.
4. Sprinkle all seasoning (I use Badia) onto the bacon.
5. Now you’ve got a decision to make! There are two ways to finish your jalapeno stairway to the glory land. You can either: A. Put the jalapenos in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for about a half an hour, or B. Put the jalapenos in a burger basket and grill them over medium heat. Flip the burger basket every few minutes to insure the bacon cooks on both sides. Grilling the jalapenos will be slightly more work than baking them, but they’ll be a bit more delicious as well!
That’s it. Enjoy your “Jalapenos Gone to Heaven.” I hope I’ve changed your life the way the man who taught me this wonder changed mine.
Make at your own risk. Pat Donovan will not be held responsible for any addictions created by the eating of Jalapenos gone to heaven.