Week 1 of college football has taken place, sure we have Ole Miss taking on Louisville on Monday night but for the most part it is in the books and it was action packed. I have gone through every game and picked my top moments from Saturday. Football is officially back you guys!
5. University of Washington: This is the team during Saturday mornings Blobner & Wize on 95.3 WDAE and AM 620 I picked the Huskies to win the Pac 12 north and play USC for the PAC 12 Title. I still think Washington can win the PAC 12 and the first thing that comes to mind is this is the worst thing that could possibly happen to Jim Harbaugh. This Huskies team from the PAC 12 was expected to beat Coach Harbaugh and the Wolverines but after the loss to Montana the team from Ann Arbor is a 1 point favorite. The question is who needs this game more, Jimmy Lake the 2nd year coach of the Huskies or Jim Harbaugh? Who has yet to beat rival Ohio State.
4. This game was originally supposed to take place in New Orleans, due to Hurricane Ida the contest was moved to Norman, Oklahoma, the home of the sooners. The game started out rough, but during it you thought, Oklahoma will figure it out, it's week 1. The game progressed and it the Green Wave of Tulane kept the game close, so much so they recovered an onside kick. Tulane recovers and you instantly think, "Oh my god, the top 2 QB's are going to lose this week." referring back to Sam Howell's loss on Friday night with the North Carolina Tar Heels. The Sooners prevailed and I chalk this up as a week 1 blunder. Spencer Rattler should continue to push for the Heisman Trophy this year.
3. Wisconsin and Penn State was classic BIG10 matchup. Scoreless through halftime. For the average fan a snoozer but for a defensive battle (which was the theme for the day) this game was living up to as advertised. I di pick Wisconsin to the team that wins the West and with Indiana also losing to Iowa, I think the Badgers still win the West and will challenge the Buckeyes in Indianapolis for the BIG10 title.
2. The Gators, my nemesis mainly because of their fans. I tend to like Seminoles fans more these days but that is also because they are super nice and back in reality. The Jimbo and Jameis connection seems like it happened well over a decade ago even though it was in 2013. Back to the Gators Saturday night I had the Owls +24 when the Gators return the Kick with just over a minute to go. 1:35 left on the clock and I expect to win my bet with Florida up 35-14. Instead Mullen makes me sweat throwing passes across the middle and a bomb to the outside in the endzone. I couldn't believe what the coach was doing. At the end of the day I get he was getting in reps for his team and this ok, but no need to hit on a bust card. Shame on you Dan Mullen.
1. During "Blobner & Wize" on Saturday morning I took Georgia and NOT Alabama to win the SEC. Will I be shocked if the Tide win the SEC... No, but would it be fun to go chalk on this pick, absolutely not. Georgia is 1 of 4 "Nick's Picks" where I tell you what games to bet on. I think this could be Georgia's year where they finally get over that hump. If Alabama ends up with 1 loss to Georgia and Clemson ends up with 1 loss which of the 2 teams makes the 4 team playoff?? Georgia is now in the driver seat to wreck college football and it's playoff system, Go Dawgs.
Bonus: Coach O, and his Tigers went into the Rose Bowl confident as a 4 point favorite over the UCLA Bruins who also played in week 0 and had a game under their belt. The moment of the week didn't come from the actual game but before the game.