Brayden Point scored two goals and Andrei Vasilevskiy made 25 saves for his 14th win of the season as the Tampa Bay Lightning defeated the Montreal Canadiens 4-1 on Wednesday night at Amalie Arena.
Point's two goals give him 19 on the season and nine goals in his last nine games.
Alex Killorn & Brandon Hagel also scored for Tampa Bay. Victor Hedman had two assists.
Point's first goal came at 1:55 of the 1st on the power play, following some slick passing from Mikhail Sergachev and Nikita Kucherov.
His second, a thing of beauty.
Slicing and dicing into the Montreal zone, Point went through four defenders before flipping one over the glove of Canadiens netminder Jake Allen with exactly four minutes remaining in the 2nd.
Killorn opened up the scoring for Tampa Bay, taking a backhand feed from Hedman and snapping one past Allen just 1:55 into the contest.
The Lightning pretty much controlled the game from there, outshooting the Habs 38-26.
Hagel scored at 8:31 of the 3rd period, scoring on a rebound of a Zach Bogosian point shot to put Tampa Bay up 4-0.
It looked like Vasilevskiy was heading for his first shutout of the season, but Montreal defenseman Kaiden Guhle scored with 2:39 left to finally break through for the visitors.
With a game in less than 24 hours against the Rangers at Amalie Arena backup Brian Elliott will likely between the pipes, but with no morning skate for the home team on Thursday, we will all find out together about forty minutes before puck drop when the teams take the ice for pregame warmups.
Allen stopped 34 of the 38 shots he saw on the evening.
Hey There Longo : Former Tampa Bay Rays All Star Evan Longoria was in the house and fired off the Tesla coils before the game. (VIDEO BELOW)
- Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Hedman) - 1:55
- Tampa Bay - PPG - Point - (Kucherov, Sergachev) - 14:09
- Tampa Bay - Point - (Unassisted) - 16:00
- Tampa Bay - Hagel - (Bogosian, Hedman) - 8:31
- Montreal - Guhle - (Edmundson, Dvorak) - 17:21
- Tampa Bay - Perbix - (Interference) - 2:38
- Montreal - Kovacevic - (Interference) - 12:40
- Tampa Bay - Perbix - (Tripping) - 16:46
- Tampa Bay - TEAM - (Too Many Men) - 6:36
- Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Hooking) - 5:01
- Montreal - MAJOR - Pezzetta - (Fighting) - 15:43
- Tampa Bay - MAJOR - Perry - (Fighting) - 15:43
- Tampa Bay - Cole - (Hooking) - 18:32
- Montreal - Suzuki - (High Sticking) - 18:52
- Tampa Bay - Sergachev - (Holding) - 18:52
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action tomorrow night as they welcome the New York Rangers to Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7:00pm.
PHOTO : Getty Images