Andrei Vasilevskiy made 52 saves but it wasn't enough as the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3 in the shootout on Thursday night at Amalie Arena.
In the sixth & final round of the shootout, Carolina's Sebastian Aho was able to beat Vasilevskiy to secure the two points for the visitors.
The Hurricanes outplayed the Lightning in the 1st, outshooting them 15-8 and leading 1-0 after a Seth Jarvis goal at 8:29.
Tampa Bay was able to climb back in it after Carolina defenseman Jalen Chatfield was called for tripping, and then before the whistle, called for high sticking as well.
The Bolts thought they scored the equalizer at 3:18 but after a short review, it was deemed that Vladislav Namestnikov kicked the puck into the net & the goal was waved off.
The positive for Tampa Bay was that there was still 3:31 of power play time.
And they were able to cash in.
With about 48 seconds left on the double minor, Mikhail Sergachev threw a puck on net that was deflected in by Ross Colton in front to tie the score at one apiece.
At 9:19, Nick Paul put the Lightning ahead 2-1 by driving hard to the net & deflecting a Steven Stamkos centering feed past Hurricanes netminder Frederik Andersen.
Unfortunately for Bolts Nation, Paul left after playing one shift in the third period. Coach Jon Cooper did not have an update after the game.
Martin Necas scored a power play goal at 14:01 to tie things up at two for Carolina, but Tampa Bay finished the period strong finding the equalizer exactly one minute before intermission.
Chatfield (cross checking) & Jordan Martinook (slashing) each were assessed penalties with 1:35 left in the middle stanza, and the Lightning had two minutes of 5-on-3 power play time to go to work.
With five forwards on the ice for Tampa Bay, Nikita Kucherov rifled a shot by Andersen to put the Lightning ahead 3-2.
The Hurricanes continued to press for the tying goal firing shot after shot towards Vasilevskiy in the third period, and ironically enough, tied it up on a power play for the Lightning.
Brady Skjei was able to take a pass from Aho in the high slot and beat Vasilevskiy at 13:34 to even things at 3-3.
In overtime Carolina had the better of the looks, especially after Brayden Point was whistled for slashing at 1:55.
But the Lightning's star netminder and solid penalty kill were able to hold the fort & eventually push the game to a shootout.
Andersen stopped 23 of the 26 shots he saw on the evening.
- Carolina - Jarvis - (Stastny) - 8:29
- Tampa Bay - PPG - Colton - (Sergachev, Hagel) - 5:50
- Tampa Bay - Paul - (Stamkos) - 9:19
- Carolina - PPG - Necas - (Burns, Svechnikov) - 14:01
- Tampa Bay - PPG - Kucherov - (Killorn, Point) - 19:00
- Carolina - SHG - Skjei - (Aho) - 13:34
- Tampa Bay - TEAM - (Too Many Men) - 6:24
- Tampa Bay - Cernak - (Roughing) - 14:33
- Carolina - Chatfield - (Tripping) - 2:48
- Carolina - Chatfield - (High Sticking) - 2:48
- Tampa Bay - Cole - (Interference) - 9:52
- Tampa Bay - Colton - (Interference) - 13:41
- Carolina - Chatfield - (Cross Checking) - 18:25
- Carolina - Martinook - (Slashing) - 18:25
- Tampa Bay - Perry - (Tripping) - 7:41
- Carolina - Pesce - (Tripping) - 12:24
- Tampa Bay - Point - ("Slashing") - 1:55
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action on Saturday night as they welcome in the Buffalo Sabres to Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7:00pm.