Charlie Coyle scored with 1:23 left in overtime and Linus Ullmark made 28 saves as the visiting Boston Bruins defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-1 on Friday night at Amalie Arena.
The action in OT was fast-paced with multiple scoring chances for both teams, but Coyle sealed the deal when he found a puck all alone in front and flipped one over the glove of Tampa Bay netminder Andrei Vasilevskiy.
Neither team scored in the 3rd period with Tampa Bay finished out regulation looking strong and getting the better of the chances, but they just could not push a second goal past Ullmark.
The teams fought tooth-and-nail in a scoreless 1st period, with the Lightning outshooting the Bruins 11-10. Tampa Bay had a couple of power play opportunities but were unable to cash in.
Boston's Jake DeBrusk broke the scoreless tie with a goal just 47 seconds into the 2nd period, but the Bolts answered right back.
Coming out from behind the net, Corey Perry was able to find Bellemare, who rifled a one-timer over the glove of Ullmark to tie the score 1-1 at 3:28.
Vasilevskiy made 35 saves in defeat for Tampa Bay.
- Boston - DeBrusk - (Marchand) - 0:47
- Tampa Bay - Bellemare - (Perry, Rutta) - 3:28
- Boston - Coyle - (DeBrusk, McAvoy) - 3:37
- Boston - Reilly - (High Sticking) - 2:18
- Boston - Grzelcyk - (High Sticking) - 11:33
- Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Tripping) - 11:50
- Tampa Bay - Cirelli - (Tripping) - 11:21
- Boston - Haula - (Roughing) - 12:08
- Boston - Foligno - (Tripping) - 17:20
- Boston - Reilly - (High Sticking) - 1:33
- Tampa Bay - Palat - (Hooking) - 15:45
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action on Sunday as they host the Buffalo Sabres at Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 5:00pm with the pregame show starting at 4:00pm on NewsRadio WFLA & Lightning Power Play on the iHeartRadio app.
PHOTO : Getty Images