Martin Necas scored with 1:34 left in overtime as the visiting Carolina Hurricanes defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-1 on Tuesday night at Amalie Arena.
Carolina actually thought they had won the game a few minutes earlier in the extra frame, but a goal by defenseman Brady Skjei was deemed offisde after a short review.
Fredrik Andersen made 17 saves in the win for the Hurricanes.
Neither team scored in the first period, but the Lightning were outshot 12-3.
The Lightning had the first big-time scoring chance at the start of the second period, but Ondrej Palat was absolutely robbed by Andersen.
Carolina had a golden opportunity to score soon thereafter when Jan Rutta flipped a puck over the glass for a delay of game penalty, and then Pierre-Edouard Bellemare was whistled for cross checking just 26 seconds later.
On the ensuing two-man advantage, Ryan McDonagh was stung by a Tony DeAngelo slapshot & Andrei Vasilevskiy moments later lost his skate blade making a save and the Bolts were scrambling. The puck eventually was frozen by the Tampa Bay netminder and the Amalie crowd rose to their feet and cheered in appreciation for the Lightning penalty kill.
Less than four minutes later, Tampa Bay finally got on the board.
Following some phenomenal work in the corner, Mathieu Joseph circled back towards the net and found a wide open Steven Stamkos and the captain fired it home to put the home team up 1-0 at the 9:00 mark of the 2nd.
The Hurricanes outshot the Lightning 22-11 through two periods and were finally able to even the score midway through the 3rd.
After a questionable goalie interference call on Stamkos, Teuvo Teravainen took a cross-ice feed from Vincent Trocheck & one-timed a shot past a sprawling Vasilevskiy to make it 1-1 at 9:56.
You Are Appreciated : Tonight was Military Appreciation Night, presented by USAA, at Amalie Arena (photos below) and the Lightning wore camouflage jerseys in the pregame warmups that will be auctioned off for charity.
Oh No Erik : Lightning defenseman Erik Cernak left the game late in the 1st period with an upper-body injury & did not return.
- Tampa Bay - Stamkos - (Joseph, Killorn) - 9:00
- Carolina - PPG - Teravainen - (Trocheck, Svechnikov) - 9:56
- Carolina - Necas - (Aho, DeAngelo) - 3:26
- Carolina - Aho - (Tripping) - 8:53
- Tampa Bay - Perry - (Holding the Stick) - 10:51
- Tampa Bay - Rutta - (Hooking) - 13:04
- Carolina - Smith - (Interference) - 18:27
- Tampa Bay - Rutta - (Delay of Game) - 3:33
- Tampa Bay - Bellemare - (Cross Checking) - 3:59
- Carolina - Bear - (Slashing) - 10:24
- Carolina - Bear - (Slashing) - 14:40
- Tampa Bay - Joseph - (Roughing) - 14:40
- Tampa Bay - Stamkos - (Goalie Interference) - 8:10
- Carolina - Trocheck - (Tripping) - 14:54
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action on Saturday night as they welcome in the Florida Panthers to Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7:00pm with the pregame show starting at 6:00pm on NewsRadio WFLA.
PHOTO : Getty Images