Mathew Barzal & Ryan Pulock each scored and Semyon Varlamov made 30 saves as the New York Islanders defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning 2-1 to take a 1-0 series lead in their Stanley Cup Semifinal matchup on Sunday at Amalie Arena.
The first 35 minutes of the game were relatively even, but the Islanders were finally able to break through at the 12:32 mark of the 2nd period.
Following a turnover in Tampa Bay's offensive zone, New York winger Josh Bailey sprung Barzal racing down the right wing. The Islanders star was able to get around Lightning defenseman Jan Rutta and beat Lightning netminder Vasilevskiy five-hole to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.
The Bolts pushed and pushed to find the equalizer, but it was the Isles who scored the next goal as Pulock gave New York a 2-0 lead with a slapshot from the middle of the ice at the 5:36 mark of the 3rd.
Brayden Point did score a goal 6-on-4 with 52.8 seconds left to pull within one, but Tampa Bay just could not find a way to put another one past Varlamov.
This contest was physical right from the start, with Matt Martin & Barclay Goodrow picking up unsportsmanlike conduct penalties just eight seconds into the game.
Vasilevskiy stopped 29 of the 31 shots he saw in the game.
- New York - Barzal - (Bailey) - 12:32
- New York - Pulock - (Eberle) - 5:36
- Tampa Bay - PPG - Point - (Killorn, Kucherov) - 19:07
- New York - Martin - (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) - 0:08
- Tampa Bay - Goodrow - (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) - 0:08
- Tampa Bay - McDonagh - (Tripping) - 3:22
- Tampa Bay - Goodrow - (Roughing) - 9:21
- Tampa Bay - Cernak - (Tripping) - 16:41
- New York - Palmieri - (Interference) - 19:23
- New York - Nelson - (High Sticking) - 18:22
What's Next For The Bolts : Game 2 of this Stanley Cup Semifinals series between the Lightning & Islanders is Tuesday night at Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 8:00pm with the pregame show at 7:00pm on NewsRadio WFLA.
PHOTO : Getty Images