TAMPA (WDAE) -- The Tampa Bay Lightning spotted the Los Angeles Kings a 2-0 and 3-2 lead before coming back to earn a 4-3 shootout win Tuesday night at Amalie Arena.
Los Angeles jumped out to an early two-goal advantage, as Jeff Carter tapped in a a deflection that went cross-ice on Andrei Vasilevkiy just four minutes into the contest for his 13th goal of the year, and Kyle Clifford made it 2-0 less than three minutes later with a shot the deflected off Mitchell Stephens and into the net.
The Lighnting started their rally midway through the first, as Alex Volkov found Alex Killorn, who beat Jonathan Quick for his team-leading 19th goal of the year. Just over a minute later, a shot from Anthony Cirelli was stopped by Quick, but Steven Stamkos was able to grab the rebound and stuff it home for his 18th tally of the year.
After a second period that saw neither team able to break the tie, the Kings used a penalty to Volkov, one of two the forward took in the period, to get an advantage, and Dustin Brown redirected a Nikolai Prokhorkin shot past Vasilevskiy to make it 3-2.
Tampa Bay had opportunities late, but needed a 6 on 5 chance as Cirelli won a faceoff at the left circle and found Kucherov in the high slot. His one-time beat Quick with just over a minute in regulation would force overtime.
The Lightning had 1:02 of 4 on 3 power play time, but was unable to capitalize in the extra frame, and it would take a shootout goal by Stamkos to give Tampa Bay the second point.
Tampa Bay head out for a six-game road trip, starting Thursday in Minnesota. Faceoff is set for 8:00 and can be heard on NewsRadio WFLA.
- LAK: GOAL - Jeff Carter (13). ASSISTS - Clifford, Forbort. TIME - 4:18.
- LAK: GOAL - Kyle Clifford (6). ASSISTS - Carter. TIME - 6:52
- TBL: GOAL - Alex Killorn (19). ASSISTS - Volkov, Shattenkirk. TIME - 10:06
- TBL: GOAL - Steven Stamkos (18). ASSISTS - Cirelli, Johnson. TIME - 11:25.
- LAK: GOAL (PP) - Dustin Brown (9). ASSISTS - Prokhorkin, Walker. TIME - 12:00
- TBL: GOAL - Nikita Kucherov (18). ASSIST - Cirelli. TIME - 18:45.
- TBL: Point, Stamkos
- LAK: Prokhorkin