TAMPA (WDAE) -- The Tampa Bay Lightning erased a one-goal deficit with six goals in the second period, including three in a 54 second span, and Carter Verhaeghe tallied his first NHL hat trick to end the Vancouver Canucks seven-game winning streak and extend their own winning streak to eight straight games with a 9-2 victory.
The game stayed scoreless until the final minute of the first period, when the Lightning gave the puck away in their own zone, and Elias Pettersson finished by beating Andrei Vasilevskiy for his 20th goal of the year.
The Lightning evened the contest up early in the second, as a giveaway by Vancouver led to Ondrej Palat finding Tyler Johnson, whose shot went off the crossbar, then the back of Jacob Markstrom before crossing the goal line for Johnson's tenth goal of the season.
Tampa Bay took advantage of a holding penalty by Alexander Edler, as on the ensuing faceoff, Steven Stamkos let loose a one-time that beat Markstrom up high to give the Lightning a 2-1 lead.
Vancouver got the gme tied back up when Loui Eriksson's pass went off the skate of Victor Hedman and past Vasilevskiy, but just a minute later the Bolts got the lead back for good when Alex Killorn outskated the Canucks defense to get in alone against Markstrom and beat him for his 17th goal of the year.
The Lightning added three more goals before the end of the period, all coming in the span of 54 seconds, as Verhaeghe scored his first of the night on a shot initially ruled no goal, but overturned on replay. Nikita Kucherov added his 15th of the year 31 seconds later, and 25 seconds afterward, Erik Cernak's blast from the blue line beat Markstrom to make it 6-2 and end his night.
Brayden Point made it 7-2 less than five minutes into the third period, and Verhaeghe would notch the final two goals of the night, including his last on a 5 on 3 power play, to finish off the hat trick and set the score at 9-2.
The nine goals scored ties a franchise record for most goals scored in a game, done two other times, including once already this season.
Tampa Bay will wrap up this two-game homestand Thursday when the Arizona Coyotes come to Amalie Arena. Faceoff is set for 7:00 and can be heard on NewsRadio WFLA.
- VAN: GOAL - Elias Pettersson (20). ASSIST - Boeser. TIME - 18:58.
- TBL: GOAL - Tyler Johnson (10). ASSISTS - Palat, Hedman. TIME - 4:21.
- TBL: GOAL (PP) - Steven Stamkos (17). ASSIST - Point. TIME - 10:10.
- VAN: GOAL - Loui Eriksson (3). ASSIST - Horvath, Tanev. TIME - 14:05.
- TBL: GOAL - Alex Killorn (17). ASSISTS - none. TIME - 15:07.
- TBL: GOAL - Carter Verhaeghe (3). ASSISTS - Point, Gourde. TIME - 17:06.
- TBL: GOAL - Nikita Kucherov (15). ASSIST - Point. TIME - 17:37.
- TBL: GOAL - Erik Cernak (3). ASSISTS - Stamkos, Cernak. TIME - 18:02.
- TBL: GOAL - Brayden Point (18). ASSISTS - Stamkos, Cernak. TIME - 4:37.
- TBL: GOAL - Carter Verhaeghe (3). ASSISTS - Stephens. TIME - 12:43.
- TBL: GOAL (PP) - Carter Verhaeghe (4). ASSISTS - Kucherov, Sergachev. TIME - 18:09.