Better late than never, right?
Nikita Kucherov scored a pair of goals in the final minute of the third and Curtis McElhinney made 31 saves as the Lightning defeated the visiting Nashville Predators 3-1 on Friday night at Amalie Arena.
After being held scoreless through their first eight periods of the preseason, the Lightning finally found their footing in the third.
Kucherov scored 23 seconds apart, the latter an empty netter, to send the Tampa Bay fans home happy after a slow start to the game, and the preseason.
In the first, Nashville came close to scoring on their first power play when Kyle Turris hit the post, but it wasn't until their second man-advantage that they were able to find the back of the net.
Calle Jarnkrok, after some really nice puck movement from the Preds, was able to fire one past McElhinney and into the open net to give Nashville the one-goal advantage.
Neither team was able to get on the scoreboard in the 2nd, but the Lightning did get close on the power play late when Kucherov and Tyler Johnson had chances that were turned away.
On the team's third power play opportunity of the night, Alex Volkov snapped a quick shot past Nashville netminder Jusse Saros at the 9:30 mark to get Tampa Bay on the board for the first time this preseason, and to tie the game at one.
Saros made 30 saves for Nashville.
1) Nashville - PPG - Jarnkrok - (Bonino, Turris) - 15:32
1) Tampa Bay - PPG - Volkov - (Verhaeghe, Yan) - 9:30
2) Tampa Bay - Kucherov - (Palat, Johnson) - 19:21
3) Tampa Bay - Kucherov (2) - (Palat) - 19:44
1) Tampa Bay - Rutta - (Interference) - 8:03
2) Tampa Bay - Katchouk - (Tripping) - 14:58
3) Tampa Bay - Paquette - (Tripping) - 15:42
1) Nashville - Santini - (Roughing) - 12:06
2) Tampa Bay - Katchouk - (Roughing) - 12:06
3) Nashville - Carr - (High Sticking) - 17:37
1) Nashville - Grimaldi - (High Sticking) - 7:34
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action tomorrow night as they travel to Nashville to take on the Predators. Puck drop is slated for 8pm with the pregame show starting at 7:30pm on NewsRadio WFLA.