Well, that wasn't pretty.
But it sure is good to have hockey back.
Max McCormick, Linus Wallmark and Colin Markison each scored, and James Reimer and Anton Forsberg combined for the shutout as the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the Tampa Bay Lightning 3-0 on Tuesday night at Amalie Arena in each team's preseason opener.
Just 79 seconds into the game, veteran Brian Gibbons threw one on net and the rebound came right to McCormick in front. The former Ottawa Senators winger fired one quickly past Wedgewood to give the Hurricanes a 1-0 lead. Ullmark scored from inside the right circle with just under 15 minutes to go in the third after a slick pass from Brock McGinn and Markison scored late to really put the game out of reach.
Not many scoring chances for Tampa Bay tonight outside of the captain Steven Stamkos clanging one off the post after a nice setup by Alex Killorn and a slick backhand shot from Mitchell Stephens that drew iron, both in the first period.
About half of the lineup on Tuesday night were Lightning regulars from a year ago. The line of Alex Killorn, Anthony Cirelli and Steven Stamkos started the game and Stammer played right wing, instead of his normal center position. The other line with Tampa Bay regulars was a group that included Yanni Gourde, Mathieu Joseph and Cory Conacher. Danick Martel, who suited up in nine game last season, also saw some time. On defense, Ryan McDonagh played with Cal Foote and Braydon Coburn was out there with Jan Rutta.
You OK Killer? : We didn't see much of Alex Killorn as the game went on, but Jon Cooper said after the game that it was more precautionary than anything else and it wasn't that serious.
1) Carolina - McCormick - (Gibbons) - 1:19
1) Carolina - Wallmark - (McGinn, Martinook) - 5:53
2) Carolina - Markison - (Geekie) - 9:55
1) Tampa Bay - Conacher - (Slashing) - 15:41
2) Tampa Bay - Raddysh - (Holding) - 19:32
1) Tampa Bay - Stamkos - (Hooking) - 2:46
1) Tampa Bay - Cirelli - (Holding) - 1:17
2) Carolina - McKeown - (Interference) - 1:45
3) Tampa Bay - Joseph - (Cross Checking) - 4:09
4) Carolina - Pesce - (Interference) - 12:11
5) Carolina - McKeown - (Cross Checking) - 14:23
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action tomorrow night as they travel to Raleigh, North Carolina to take on the Hurricanes. Puck drop is slated for 7pm with the pregame show starting at 6:30pm on NewsRadio WFLA.