Brayden Point scored in his return after a one-game absence and Andrei Vasilevskiy made 35 saves but it wasn't enough as the Lightning were defeated by the Golden Knights 3-2 in the shootout on Tuesday night at Amalie Arena.
Alex Tuck scored in Round 3 of the shootout to seal the deal for Vegas.
The Bolts got the first power play opportunity of the game at 5:52 in the first and it didn't take long for Point to cash in.
Following a shot by Nikita Kucherov that was blocked in front, Point found the loose puck and snapped it over the shoulder of Fleury to give the Lightning a 1-0 lead just 44 seconds into the man-advantage.
The score stayed that way for the rest of the first and over half of the second period. Then, the Lightning doubled their lead, but the Amalie faithful had to wait to celebrate.
Mathieu Joseph pushed one past Fleury but there was a lot of contact in front and the referee immediately called it off for goalie interference. The Tampa Bay coaching staff alertly challenged the play, and after a short respite, the official announced that the call on the ice was overturned and the crowd erupted.
Vegas didn't crawl up into a ball and go away. They fought back and cut the lead in half just over two minutes later when Cody Eakin scored on a breakaway to make it 2-1. Valentin Zykov then scored his first of the year at the 5:22 mark of the third to tie the score at two.
- Tampa Bay - PPG - Point - (Kucherov, Stamkos) - 6:36
- Tampa Bay - Joseph - (Stamkos, Coburn) - 14:19
- Vegas - Eakin - (Merrill) - 16:28
- Vegas - Zykov - (Karlsson, Marchessault) - 5:22
- Vegas - Schmidt - (Cross Checking) - 5:52
- Vegas - Karlsson - (Tripping) - 7:38
- Tampa Bay - Gourde - (Tripping) - 15:11
- Vegas - Smith - (Hooking) - 18:44
- Vegas - Merrill - (Cross Checking) - 8:03
- Vegas - Eakin - (High Sticking) - 11:31
- Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Tripping) - 18:18
- Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Tripping) - 2:38
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action Thursday night as they welcome the St. Louis Blues to Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7:30pm with the pregame show starting at 6:30pm on NewsRadio 970WFLA.