The Tampa Bay Lightning (51-20-4) fell to the surging New Jersey Devils (39-28-8) 2-1 on Saturday night in Newark, New Jersey.
The Lightning played pretty well in the first period of this game, especially on the defensive end, but New Jersey was able to draw first blood in this game when Nico Hischier scored to make it 1-0 late in the frame. In the second period the Devils controlled the puck more, but never really overpowered the Lightning, but they were able to take a 2-0 lead midway through the frame on a goal from Kyle Palmieri.
The third period started well enough for Tampa Bay, and when given a power play opportunity the Bolts capitalized, as Ondrej Palat scored at the 4:22 mark to make it a 2-1 game. Though the Lightning didn't play poorly down the stretch, they were never able to scratch any closer, and New Jersey would hang on for a 2-1 win.
Andrei Vasilveskiy went 29-for-31 in net for the Lightning, while Keith Kinkaid saved 35-of-36 Lightning shots. Tampa Bay returns home on Monday night when they battle the Arizona Coyotes - the puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 PM and can be heard beginning at 6:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. New Jersey - Hischier - (Butcher, Mueller) - 17:51
1. New Jersey - Palmieri - (Zacha, Hall) - 10:59
1. Tampa Bay - PPG - Palat - (Sergachev, Point) - 4:22
1. New Jersey - Moore - (Hooking) - 18:36
2. Tampa Bay - Hedman - (Hooking) - 19:50
1. New Jersey - Gibbons - (Hooking) - 18:19
2. Tampa Bay - JT Miller - (Delaying Game) - 18:19
1. New Jersey - Butcher - (Tripping) - 2:27
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 36
New Jersey - 31