The Tampa Bay Lightning (45-17-4) overcame a two-goal third period deficit before finding a way to knock off the Philadelphia Flyers (34-20-11) 7-6 in the shootout.
The first period was a tough contest for the home team, who fell behind early when Nolan Patrick scored a power play goal to give Philadelphia a 1-0 lead. Though Steven Stamkos answered just over a minute later to tie the game 1-1 on the power play, the Flyers got goals from Jakub Voracek and Robert Hagg to go into the first intermission leading 3-1 and looking like they might run away with this one.
The Lightning answered with a much better second period, beginning when Victor Hedman scored at the 5:57 mark to cut the Philadelphia lead to 3-2. Dan Girardi was able to tie the game 12:47 into the frame, but again the Flyers pushed back. Jori Lehtera gave Philadelphia a 4-3 lead with under four minutes to go in the second, and Ivan Provorov scored barely a minute into the third period and again, it looked as though Philadelphia might run away with this game.
The Lightning used a huge six-minute stretch in the third to turn the fortunes of this game, beginning when J.T. Miller scored his first goal as a Lightning to cut the Philadelphia lead to 5-4. Steven Stamkos scored at the 7:38 mark to tie the game, and when he assisted on Victor Hedman's go ahead goal with 9:57 to go in the game, it was a career high five points for Stamkos. The Lightning played well as the third period progressed, trying to hang on to a 6-5 regulation win, but Claude Giroux scored with 2:53 to go that tied this game 6-6 and forced overtime.
After a scoreless overtime that saw Lightning goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy make some huge saves, the game went to a shootout. Tied 0-0 after the first round, Brayden Point scored a shootout goal in the second round and Steven Stamkos added one in the third round to win the shootout 2-0 and this wild game, 7-6. Andrei Vasilevskiy went 37-for-43 in net for the Bolts, and in spite of allowing six goals, was unbelievable in overtime to put Tampa Bay in position to get a huge second point. Petr Mrazek went 29-for-35 in net in the losing effort for Philadelphia.
Tampa Bay's long homestand continues on Tuesday night as Florida visits Amalie Arena. Faceoff between the Lightning and Panthers is scheduled for 7:30 on Tuesday night in downtown Tampa - pregame coverage gets underway at 6:30 PM on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. PHI - PPG - Patrick - (Giroux, Voracek) - 7:08
2. TBL - PPG - Stamkos - (Hedman, Kucherov) - 8:16
3. PHI - Voracek - (Patrick) - 14:30
4. PHI - Hagg - (Laughton, Provorov) - 18:07
1. TBL - Hedman - (Stamkos, Kucherov) - 5:57
2. TBL - Girardi - (Stamkos, Hedman) - 12:47
3. PHI - Lehtera - (Weal, Filppula) - 16:15
1. PHI - Provorov - (Filppula) - 1:06
2. TBL - Miller - (Gourde, Point) - 4:23
3. TBL - Stamkos - (Kucherov, Killorn) 7:38
4. TBL - Hedman - (Stamkos) - 10:03
5. PHI - Giroux - (Couturier, Provorov) - 17:07
1. TBL - Conacher - Save
2. PHI - Couturier - Save
3. TBL - Point - GOAL
4. Phi - Patrick - Save
5. TBL - Stamkos - GOAL
1. TBL - Vasilevskiy - (Tripping) - 6:22
2. PHI - Giroux - (Slashing) - 7:54
3. TBL - Sergachev - (Hooking) - 16:02
4. TBL - Gourde - (Roughing) 18:16
5. PHI - MacDonald - (Roughing) - 18:16
1. TBL - Point - (Slashing) - 0:26
1. TBL - Cirelli - (Hooking) - 4:49
1. TBL - Kucherov - (Hooking) - 1:37
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 35
Philadelphia - 43