The Tampa Bay Lightning (42-7-3) knocked off the Montreal Canadiens (23-29-9) 4-3 in the shootout on Saturday night in Quebec.
The first period started well for Montreal, and they took the first lead of the game when Byron Froese scored at the 8:52 mark to take a 1-0 lead. It was Brayden Point coming through with an answer, scoring at the 12:07 mark and the first intermission would arrive with the game tied 1-1. In the second period, the Lightning played pretty well, but the Canadiens took advantage of the opportunities they were given. After Nikita Kucherov gave the Bolts a 2-1 lead early in the second period, the Habs answered with a Joe Morrow goal less than ninety seconds later to tie the game at 2-2. Max Pacioretty scored on the power play at the 16:29 mark of the period and Montreal took a 3-2 lead into the second intermission.
In the third period, the Lightning were able to come through with a HUGE goal in the early goings. Ryan Callahan tipped in a goal from Nikita Kucherov and Stevan Stamkos and the game was tied at 3-3. Though both teams had opportunities as the third period went along, neither were able to score, and this game went into overtime tied 3-3. Both teams had chances in the overtime as well, especially Montreal, but Andrei Vasilevskiy made the stops necessary to force this game into the shootout.
After neither team was able to score in the first round of the shootout, the Lightning took a 1-0 lead in the shootout when Brayden Point got one past Antti Niemi. After Andrei Vasilevskiy stopped Charles Hudon's attempt to extend the game, the Lightning clinched the second point and a 4-3 win over Montreal. All told Vasilevskiy finished with 29 saves on 32 shots, while Niemi went 36-for-39 in net for the Canadiens.
The Lightning return home on Monday, which is the NHL's Trade Deadline, to battle the Toronto Maple Leafs. Faceoff at Amalie Arena on Monday night is scheduled for 7:30 - you can hear the action, as well as reaction to any NHL trade news, beginning with pregame coverage at 6:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. MTL- Froese - (Benn, Carr) - 8:52
2. TBL - Point - (Killorn) - 12:07
1. TBL - PPG - Kucherov - (Hedman, Johnson) - 7:32
2. MTL - Morrow - (Hudon, Pacioretty) - 8:50
3. MTL - PPG - Pacioretty - (Petry, Drouin) - 16:29
1. TBL - PPG - Callahan - (Kucherov, Stamkos) - 2:11
1. MTL - Byron - SAVE
2. TBL - Kunitz - SAVE
3. MTL - Drouin - MISS
4. TBL - Point - GOAL
5. MTL - Hudon - SAVE
1. MTL - Alzner - (Fighting) - 14:45
2. TBL - Stamkos - (Instigator, Fighting, Misconduct) - 14:45
3. MTL - Gallagher - (Roughing) - 19:17
4. TBL - Hedman - (Roughing) - 19:17
1. MTL - Hudon - (Tripping) - 4:50
2. MTL - Byron - (Interference) - 7:01
3. TBL - Kucherov - (Hooking) - 15:33
1. MTL - Froese - (Cross Checking) - 0:07
2. MTL - Danault - (Slashing) - 0:21
3. TBL - Killorn - (Hooking) - 3:39
4. TBL - Namestnikov - (Hooking) - 6:17
1. MTL - Morrow - (High Sticking) - 2:32
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 39
Montreal - 32