The Buffalo Sabres (17-30-10) upset the Tampa Bay Lightning (38-16-3) 5-3 on Tuesday night in Buffalo.
Playing the second night of a back-to-back, the Lightning struggled early in this game. Buffalo struck first when Nicholas Baptiste scored at the 6:25 mark of the first period. However, the Lightning had some push back in them, and Yanni Gourde scored on the power play at the 13:23 mark of the first to tie the game 1-1. Late in the first period, Slater Koekkoek was called for a high sticking penalty that would put the Sabres on the power play to start the second and shift some momentum to the home team.
Buffalo would take advantage of that momentum early in the period, as Sam Reinhart scored just 1:16 into the frame to take a 2-1 lead. Though the Lightning were unable to capitalize on more than a minute of 5-on-3 time midway through the period after Buffalo was called for two penalties seven seconds apart, they were able to get an even strength goal from Vladislav Namestnikov to tie the game 2-2. However, two and a half minutes later Buffalo answered when Scott Wilson tipped in a goal to give the Sabres a 3-2 lead going into the second intermission.
In the third period Buffalo added an insurance goal from Ryan O’Reilly on the power play that would prove to be the difference in this game just 3:41 into the frame. Though Ryan Callahan scored at the 11:36 mark to pull within 4-3, that would be as close as the Bolts would get, as they would not be able to get a ton of pressure on Buffalo down the stretch. Sam Reinhart scored an empty net goal with eight seconds left and the Sabres would secure the 5-3 win.
Louis Domingue got the start in net for the Bolts in the second game of a back-to-back and was able to convert 28 saves on 32 shots. Chad Johnson was in net for the Sabres and went 26-for-29 to get the win. The Lightning look to bounce back after having lost two games in a row when they play host to the Red Wings on Thursday night. Puck drop from Amalie Arena is scheduled for 7:30 - hear all of that action, beginning with pregame coverage at 6:30, on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. BUF - Baptiste - (Girgensons) - 6:25
2. TBL - PPG - Gourde - (Kucherov, Hedman) - 13:23
1. BUF - PPG - Reinhart - (O’Reilly, Rodrigues) - 1:16
2. TBL - Namestnikov - (None) - 13:19
3. BUF - Wilson - (Nelson, Antipin) - 15:47
1. BUF - PPG - O’Reilly - (Okposo, Ristolainen) - 3:41
2. TBL - Callahan - (Sergachev, Point) - 11:36
3. BUF - Empty Net - Reinhart - (O’Reilly) - 19:52
1. BUF - Wilson - (Closing hand on puck) - 12:10
2. BUF - Girgensons - (Tripping) - 16:12
3. TBL - Koekkoek - (High Sticking) - 20:00
1. TBL - Erne - (Too Many Men On Ice) - 2:07
2. BUF - Larsson - (Slashing) - 6:49
3. BUF - Girgensons - (Tripping) - 6:56
1. TBL - Dotchin - (Slashing) - 2:21
2. BUF - Okposo - (Tripping) - 9:32
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 29
Buffalo - 33