The Tampa Bay Lightning (36-13-3) defeated the Vancouver Canucks (21-25-6) 4-2 on Saturday evening in British Columbia.
The Lightning started this game on fire, scoring just a minute and twenty-six seconds in, when Chris Kunitz tipped in a shot from Anton Strallman that gave Tampa Bay a 1-0 lead. The Lightning continued to play well throughout the period, controlling the pace of play and outshooting the Canucks, and Victor Hedman gave the Lightning a 2-0 lead at the 5:52 mark. For much of the first two periods, any mistakes were covered up by the brilliant play of goalie Andrei Vaislevskiy - and give the team a lot of confidence. Victor Hedman gave the Bolts a 3-2 lead at the 15:56 mark of the second period and it looked as though the Lightning may cruise.
The Canucks pushed back in the third period, though, beginning the period on a stretch of outshooting the Lightning 13-3. Thomas Vanek scored at the 10:00 mark to end the shutout, and Brock Boeser pulled Vancouver within 1 with his goal at the 14:30 mark. However, the Lightning took advantage when Cory Conacher was shaken up on a Christopher Tanev high sticking penalty and awarded a penalty shot. Concaher nailed the shot, and the Lightning would go on to win by a final score of 4-2.
Andrei Vasilevskiy was superb in net for the Bolts, saving 31 shots on 33 shots on net, while Jacob Markstrom went 24-for-28 in net for the Canucks in the losing effort. Tampa Bay wraps up their season long eight game road trip on Monday when they are in Edmonton to battle the Oilers. Faceoff in that contest is scheduled for 9 PM Monday evening and pregame coverage gets underway at 8:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. TBL - Kunitz - (Stralman, Kucherov) - 1:26
2. TBL - Hedman - (Stamkos, Kucherov) - 5:52
1. TBL - Gourde - (Sergachev, Peca) - 15:47
1. VAN - Vanek - (Stecher, Boeser) - 10:00
2. VAN - Boeser - (Sutter) - 14:30
3. TBL - Penalty Shot - Conacher - (Unassisted) - 16:36
1. VAN - Del Zotto - (Interference) - 10:25
2. TBL - Namestnikov - (Roughing) - 15:35
3. VAN - Gaunce - (Roughing) - 15:35
1. VAN - Del Zotto - (Elbowing) - 17:48
2. TBL - Namestnikov - (Holding) - 19:56
1. TBL - Stralman - (Delaying Game) - 0:08
2. TBL - Stamkos - (Cross Checking) - 3:15
3. VAN - Horvat - (Tripping) - 3:18
4. VAN - Tanev - (High Sticking, PS-Tripping on Breakaway) - 16:36
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 28
Vancouver - 33