The Tampa Bay Lightning (34-13-3) dropped their first post All-Star Game contest to the Winnipeg Jets (30-13-8) on Tuesday night in Canada.
Playing a team that has been a top team in the Western Conference, this game started well for the Lightning. A back and forth first period saw Matthew Peca score with under a minute to go to give Lightning a 1-0 lead.
However, that lead would not hold through the second period, as the Jets took advantage of opportunities they got on the power play. Playing on a 5-on-3, Patrick Laine scored for the Jets to tie the game 1-1. Later in the period, again playing on the power play, the Jets were able to create a ton of momentum on the penalty which Kyle Connor used to score moments after the penalty ended to lift the Jets to a 2-1 lead. Bryan Little scored at the 14:35 mark of the third period to give the Jets insurance and a 3-1 win.
Louis Domingue got the start in net in the team's first game back after the break, and converted 34 saves against 34 shots on net. The Lightning were only able to get 24 shots on net, and Jets netminder Michael Hutchinson converted 23 saves to secure the win.
The Lightning road trip in western Canada continues on Thursday night when they travel to Calgary to take on the Flames. Faceoff is set for 9 PM Thursday night with coverage beginning at 8:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. TBL - Peca - (Point, Dotchin) - 19:31
1. WPG - PPG - Laine - (Wheeler, Byfuglien) - 3:30
2. WPG - Connor - (Wheeler, Mysers) - 8:35
1. WPG - Little - (Perreault, Ehlers) - 14:35
1. WPG - Byfuglien - (High Sticking) - 0:42
1. TBL - Coburn - (Tripping) - 2:43
2. TBL - Kunitz - (Delaying Game) - 2:55
3. WPG - Copp - (Tripping) - 5:44
4. TBL - Namestnikov - (Interference) - 6:27
1. WPG - Byfuglien - (Tripping) - 0:11
2. TBL - Domingue - (Delaying Game) - 11:00
3. WPG - Enstrom - (Hooking) - 15:15
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 24
Winnipeg - 37