The Tampa Bay Lightning (32-12-8) knocked off the Blackhawks (22-19-6) 2-0 on Monday night in Chicago.
When these two teams meet sparks often fly, and tonight was no exception. This game featured a ton of scoring opportunities, some of them right off the bat of this contest, but both goalies stood tall. Jeff Glass, a 32-year-old rookie getting an opportunity for Chicago, made 13 first period saves, while Andrei Vasilevskiy performed at the level Lightning fans have come to expect.
Vasilevskiy was pushed further in the second period, as the Blackhawks controlled the pace of play for much of ther period, outshooting the Lightning 17-5. One of those five shots for the Bolts, though, was a shorthanded attempt from Chris Kunitz that went in to lift Tampa Bay to a 1-0 lead. The Lightning fought Chicago step for step in the third period, and Yanni Gourde came through with a huge unassisted insurance goal at the 18:26 mark and Tampa Bay would secure a two goal victory.
All told Andrei Vasilevskiy saved 40 shots to secure the shutout in net, while Jeff Glass went 29-for-31 in net for the Blackhawks. The Lightning return to action on Tuesday night as they travel to Nashville to take on the Predators. Faceoff is set for 8 PM and can be heard beginning with pregame coverage at 7:30 PM on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. TBL - SHG - Kunitz - (Dotchin, Point) - 17:14
1. TBL - Gourde - (Unassisted) - 18:26
1. CHI - DeBrincat - (Hooking) - 2:00
2. TBL - Girardi - (Slashing) - 7:09
3. CHI - Oesterle - (Tripping) - 8:36
4. TBL - Killorn - (Tripping) - 14:38
5. TBL - Johnson - (High Sticking) - 15:53
1. TBL - Sergachev - (High Sticking, Unsportsmanlike Conduct) - 16:06
1. TBL - Stamkos - (Tripping) - 7:29
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 31
Chicago - 40