The Lightning (30-9-3) snapped a two-game losing streak with a convincing 5-2 win over the Red Wings (17-17-7) on Sunday night in Detroit.
An action-packed first period saw the Lightning take control of this game early. Louis Domingue made some key saves making his first start this season for the Lightning, and Tampa Bay got on the scoreboard at the 8:56 mark to give the Bolts a 1-0 lead. Tyler Johnson made it 2-0 at the 14:11 mark before things became very testy between both teams. No fewer than three skirmishes occurred between both teams as the game came down the stretch run of the period.
The Red Wings answered early in the second period when Gustav Nyquist scored just 3:10 into the frame to make it a 2-1 contest. Detroit owned the pace of play throughout the second period, including outshooting the Lightning 14-4 in the period, but would not pull any closer before Yanni Gourde scored at the 19:00 mark to give the Lightning a 3-1 lead going into the second intermission.
Again the home team started the period hot, and in the third period Justin Abdelaker scored an unassisted goal just 3:06 to pull within 3-2. However, that did not deter the Lightning from playing well and controlling the pace of play throughout the third period, and it paid off for Tampa Bay. Nikita Kucherov scored a beautiful goal a split second after Steven Stamkos won a faceoff to make it a two-goal advantage, and then Yanni Gourde came through with his second goal of the night to put the dagger in the Red Wings at the 16:05 mark.
Louis Domingue picked up his first NHL win of the season after stepping into the backup role following Peter Budaj’s injury and converted 34 saves on 36 shots in the effort. Petr Mrazek went 19-for-24 in the losing effort for Detroit. The Lightning now return home from the long trip to begin a three-game homestand against the Carolian Hurricanes on Tuesday night. Faceoff is set for 7:30 and can be heard with coverage beginning at 6:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. TBL – Girardi – (Namestnikov, Gourde) – 8:58
2. TBL – Johnson – (Girardi, Palat) – 14:11
1. DET – Nyquist – (Bertuzzi, Zetterberg) – 3:10
2. TBL – Gourde – (Killorn, Namestnikov) – 19:00
1. DET - Abdelakder – (Unassisted) – 3:06
2. TBL – Kucherov – (Stamkos) – 13:42
3. TBL – Gourde – (Palat) – 18:06
1. TBL – Point – (Roughing, Fighting) – 16:35
2. DET – Larkin – (Boarding, Fightning) – 16:35
3. TBL – Kucherov – (Interference) – 17:16
4. TBL – Hedman – (Slashing) – 18:23
5. TBL – Gourde – (Fighting) – 18:23
6. DET – Tatar – (Fightning) – 18:23
1. TBL – Stamkos – (Roughing) – 10:04
2. TBL – Coburn – (Tripping) – 11:42
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 24
Detroit - 36