The Tampa Bay Lightning (17-5-2) shut out the Buffalo Sabres (6-15-4) 2-0 on Tuesday night in Buffalo.
The first period of this contest didn't see a ton of scoring chances for either team, but the Lightning were able to get the first goal of the game through when Mikhail Sergachev scored a power play goal at the 16:29 mark in the first period. Working through the second period with a one goal lead, the Lightning made it 2-0 when Dan Girardi scored at the 12:08 mark on a beautiful shot which was screened by Steven Stamkos for the score.
In the third period the Sabres were able to put a lot more pressure on Tampa Bay goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy, who fought his way to the shutout victory. All told he converted 34 saves to secure the shutout win, while Buffalo goalie Robin Lehner converted 24 saves in 26 shots on net in the losing effort.
The Lightning return to action on Wednesday in Boston when they battle the Bruins. Faceoff is set for 7:30 and you can hear it beginning with pregame at 7:00 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. TBL - PPG - Sergachev - (Palat, Johnson) - 16:29
2. TBL - Girardi - (Namestnikov, Kucherov) - 12:08
1. BUF - Nolan - (Hooking) - 15:33
1. TBL - Stamkos - (Hooking) - 1:58
2. TBL - Coburn - (Interference) - 18:47
1. TBL - Johnson - (Tripping) - 4:59
2. BUF - Beaulie - (Slashing) - 10:33
3. BUF - Ristolainen - (High Sticking) - 11:01
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 26
Buffalo - 34