The Tampa Bay Lightning (16-5-2) fell to the Pittsburgh Penguins (12-10-3) on Saturday night in Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh controlled the pace of play throughout the first period, and it began when the Lightning went on a penalty but couldn't capitalize. Quite the contrary, Bryan Rust came up with a breakaway that resulted in a shorthanded goal on just the Penguins fourth shot of the game. The Penguins took advantage of penalties called against the Lightning as the period progressed, scoring twice on the power play in the final two minutes of the first period to take a 3-0 lead going into the first intermission.
In the second period Phil Kessel scored on another Penguins breakaway early to make the lead 4-0 over the Lightning. Ondrej Palat did score at the 6:52 mark to make it 4-1, but Pittsburgh answered early in the third when Sidney Crosby scored on the power play to make it 5-1. Cory Conacher rounded out the scoring for the Lightning with a goal at the 13:54 mark of the third period to make it 5-2, which is how the game would finish.
Peter Budaj got the start in net for the Lightning on the second game of a back-to-back, and went 29-for-34 in net in the losing effort. Tristan Jarry saved 33 of the 35 shots the Lightning made on net to get his first NHL win.
The Lightning now continue their road trip when they battle the Sabres on Tuesday night. Faceoff from Buffalo is set for 7:00 and can be heard beginning at 6:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. PIT - SHG - Rust - (Jarry) - 14:36
2. PIT - PPG - Kessel - (Crosby, Hornqvist) - 18:03
3. PIT - PPG - Crosby - (Kessel, Schultz) - 19:26
1. PIT - Kessel - (Sheahan) - 2:22
2. TBL - Palat - (Sergachev, Gourde) - 6:52
1. PIT - Crosby - (Kessel, Schultz) - 4:41
2. TBL - Conacher - (Killorn, Johnson) - 13:54
1. PIT - Guentzel - (High Sticking) - 11:21
2. TBL - Paquette - (High Sticking) - 16:12
3. TBL - Stralman - (Tripping) - 17:43
1. PIT - Kessel - (Slashing) - 6:43
2. PIT - Hunwick - (Tripping) - 16:04
1. TBL - Sergachev - (Interference) - 3:31
2. TBL - Girardi - (Closing Hand on Puck) - 3:51
3. PIT - Hunwick - (Interference) - 10:33
4. PIT - Schultz - (Slashing) - 18:33
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 35
Pittsburgh - 34