The Washington Capitals (12-10-1) knocked off the Lightning (16-3-2) 3-1 on Friday evening in Washington, DC.
The Lightning struck early in this one, as the Lightning went on an early power play and Vladislav Namestnikov came through with a goal just 1:22 into this contest to give Tampa Bay a 1-0 lead. However, as the first period wore on the Capitals took control of the pace of the game and never really gave it back. Alex Ovechkin scored at the 18:36 mark in the first to tie the game 1-1 and Washington took all the momentum into the first intermission.
Devante Smith-Pelly scored at the 14:36 mark of the second period to give the Capitals the lead, and they would not give it up from there. The Capitals controlled the pace of play throughout the third period, and when Tampa Bay pulled the goalie down the stretch, Jay Beagle came through with the empty netter that clinched this game for Washington.
Andrei Vasilevskiy played well in net for Tampa Bay, converting 35 saves in 37 shots on net. For Washington, Philipp Grubauer was sensational in net for the Capitals, going 25-for-26 in net for the victory.
The Lightning road trip continues when they head to Pittsburgh on Saturday. Faceoff is set for 7:00 and you can hear it beginning at 6:30 on News Radio 970 WFLA.
1. TB - PPG - Namestnikov - (Kucherov, Hedman) - 1:22
2. WSH - Ovechkin - (Wilson, Backstrom) - 18:36
1. WSH - Smith-Pelly - (Beagle, Orlov) - 14:36
1. WSH - Beagle - (Niskanen) - 17:52
1. WSH - Orpik - (Hooking) 0:44
2. TBL - Palat - (Hooking) - 13:27
1. TBL - Gourde - (Hooking) - 8:37
2. TBL - Namestnikov - (Tripping) - 11:15
1. WSH - Kuznetsov - (High Sticking) - 11:06
2. WSH - Kuznetsov - (Slashing) - 18:11
SHOTS ON GOAL
Tampa Bay - 26
Washington - 38