Was able to get a look at a good chunk of practice before the Buccaneers and visiting Miami Dolphins went inside the Advent Health Training Center and we had to head back to the station to get ready for the show.
Here are my 10 Takeaways!
- While kickoff coverage isn't the most exciting part of Camp, it's good to see what the Bucs are thinking heading into the season. It looks like Ronald Jones and Bobo Wilson will be the two guys to start. I like it. Both guys who have the potential to break one and take it to the house.
- Speaking of Ronald Jones... I'm drinking the Kool-Aid folks. I was hesitant when every player, coach, doctor and rabbi said he was going to be a player poised for a breakout, but I can definitely see it. The kid is running with a purpose and during 1 on 1s today, made a really grimy catch with a defender draped all over him. You know Coach Arians likes catches like that.
- Great to see some work in the trenches with the visiting Dolphins in town. But it got off to a rough start for Miami when the first two reps were halted due to false starts.
- A lot of people are wondering who will pick up the slack for JPP, but let's not forget the job Carl Nassib did last year either. He looked really good today against Miami, with multiple hurries that would have disrupted the play in a regular game.
- There's a discernible difference between Ndamukong Suh and Beau Allen. Suh was a force, driving pretty much every O-lineman back on their heels immediately while Allen struggled to do the same. Noah Spence and William Gholston had some good reps as well, and they'll need to have some big production this season if they Bucs want to control the line of scrimmage.
- Great to see all of the old Bucs here at Training Camp today. Ian Beckles was seen roaming the sidelines, as well as guys like Anthony Becht, Tony Mayberry, Michael Clayton, and this guy......
- Ryan Smith looked to have a tough day in coverage for the Bucs. On multiple plays, Miami WR Devante Parker was able to create some space and make the completion. With a suspension looming, Smith is going to need to have a strong finish to the preseason to secure a spot on this roster.
- Outside of a couple of INTs to Dolphins star CB Xavien Howard, I love the chemistry between Jameis Winston and his receivers. Mike Evans and Chris Godwin had some nice grabs, and OJ Howard snatched a ball away from his former college teammate Minkah Fitzpatrick that sent some oohs and aahs throughout the crowd.
- Bruce Arians was very vocal telling his team that he didn't want any fighting at Camp with the Dolphins in town. I think today you saw that perfect balance with both teams, where the players played hard to the whistle and then, after that, they let it go and dapped each other up.
- Devin White continues to make plays but I'm a little concerned about veteran LB Kevin Minter out in space. He definitely knows the system, so that's a positive, but if he's tasked with bringing down a shifty receiver in the middle of the field, I don't know if that's his strength.
We had to duck out early to get back to the station, so make sure you're keeping up with our coverage over on 953WDAE.com under the Best Bucs Coverage tab and check out Len Martez on Twitter @LMart810 as he's done a phenomenal job covering this team during Training Camp.