Brayden Point, Anthony Cirelli and JT Miller scored in regulation and Andrei Vasilevskiy made 30 saves as the Lightning defeated the Los Angeles Kings 4-3 on Monday night at Amalie Arena.
Steven Stamkos, Nikita Kucherov and Victor Hedman scored in the shootout before Vasilevskiy stopped L.A.'s Dustin Brown to seal the victory for Tampa Bay.
The Bolts didn't take long to assert their dominance over the Kings.
Point scored just 65 seconds into the game on the power play to give the home team a 1-0 advantage.
Tampa Bay was in control from there, and even doubled the lead on a goal from Cirelli at the 8:08 mark where he deflected a Braydon Coburn shot from the point past Kings netminder Jack Campbell.
Neither team was able to score in the middle frame, but both were close.
The Lightning hit a couple of posts (they hit about 47 on the evening) and Vasilevskiy denied Ilya Kovalchuk on the doorstep with a beautiful pad save to keep the score 2-0.
The Kings finally got on the board in the third with some hard work and determination.
Following an Austin Wagner shot on net that Vasilevskiy had difficulty corralling, Alex Iafallo crashed the net hard and the puck bounced off him and past the Lightning netminder to make it 2-1.
The Kings hung around and eventually tied it up, with the blame for this one going squarely on the shoulders of Vasilevskiy.
He misplayed the puck at the side of the net and it came out in front where Jonny Brodzinski found the loose puck and snapped it over the glove of Vasy to tie it at two, but it didn't stay that way for long.
36 seconds later a bouncing puck found its way to Austin Wagner at the side of the net and he fired it into the open corner to give the Kings their first lead of the night.
Before Los Angeles could be comfortable with the lead, the Bolts responded.
Stamkos came up with the steal and found Miller in front, who one-timed it past Campbell to knot the score just 58 seconds after the Wagner goal.
Campbell made 31 saves on the evening.
- Tampa Bay - PPG - Point - (Stamkos, Kucherov) - 1:05
- Tampa Bay - Cirelli - (Coburn, Gourde) - 8:08
- Los Angeles - Iafallo - (Wagner) - 5:20
- Los Angeles - Brodzinski - (Leipsic) - 10:30
- Los Angeles - Wagner - (Lewis, Walker) - 11:06
- Tampa Bay - Miller - (Stamkos) - 12:04
- Los Angeles - Phaneuf - (Delay of Game) - 0:55
- Tampa Bay - Cernak - (Cross Checking) - 10:26
- Tampa Bay - Miller - (Hooking) - 14:13
- Los Angeles - Clifford - (High Sticking) - 16:39
- Los Angeles - Kopitar - (Hooking) - 3:47
- Tampa Bay - Cernak - (Interference) - 11:23
- Tampa Bay - Miller - (High Sticking) - 1:32
- Los Angeles - Brown - (High Sticking) - 14:18
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are back in action Wednesday night as they travel to New York to take on the Rangers. Puck drop is slated for 7:30pm with the pregame show starting at 7pm on NewsRadio WFLA.