The Lightning wanted to make sure that before they took ten days off, they went out on a high note.
And that's exactly what they did.
Steven Stamkos had two third period goals and Andrei Vasilevskiy made 36 saves as the Bolts defeated the visiting San Jose Sharks 6-3 on Saturday night at Amalie Arena.
Fresh off a disappointing loss to the Maple Leafs on Thursday, the Lightning came out flying in their final game before the break.
The Bolts hemmed the Sharks deep right from the jump and with just over three and a half minutes elapsed, Tampa Bay cashed in.
JT Miller intercepted a clearing attempt down the left wing and fired the puck towards the net. Anthony Cirelli found the pass and took a shot that San Jose goalie Martin Jones saved but Joseph pounced on the rebound and fired it home to make it 1-0.
San Jose had their chances in the opening stanza, but it was the Lightning who eventually doubled their lead.
Brayden Point had the puck in front of the net with his back to Jones and had the puck knocked off his stick right to Alex Killorn in the slot. The Tampa Bay winger quickly snapped one past the Sharks netminder and the Bolts led 2-0.
The Lightning looked to be heading into the first intermission with a two-goal lead but the Sharks were able to get one back before the end of the period.
Evander Kane scored on the power play with just over twenty seconds left in the first to cut the Tampa Bay lead in half.
The lead didn't last long after the break as Kane found a rebound off the back boards off of his own missed shot as he made it 2-2 just 58 seconds into the second.
With the score tied, that's when the Lightning forecheck went to work and they were eventually rewarded with a goal.
Following some strong work in the offensive zone, Stamkos fired a shot that went wide of the net but caromed out to the other side right to Gourde. He fired it into the empty net and the Lightning went up 3-2.
Hedman scored just as a 5-on-3 ended at 12:01 of the second to double Tampa Bay's lead.
1. Tampa Bay - Joseph - (Cirelli, Miller) - 3:32
2. Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Unassisted) - 17:51
3. San Jose - PPG - Kane - (Meier, Thornton) - 19:39
1. San Jose - Kane (2) - (Donskoi, Simek) - 0:58
2. Tampa Bay - Gourde - (Stamkos, Palat) - 7:29
3. Tampa Bay - Hedman - PPG - (Kucherov) - 12:01
1. Tampa Bay - Stamkos - (Kucherov) - 5:08
2. San Jose - Sorensen - (Heed, Labanc) - 19:23
1. Tampa Bay - Killorn - (Holding) - 8:24
2. Tampa Bay - Palat - (Interference) - 18:24
1. San Jose - Ryan - (Slashing) - 3:14
2. San Jose - Labanc - (Cross Checking) - 10:00
3. San Jose - Couture - (Tripping) - 11:44
1. San Jose - Kane - (Roughing) - 13:14
2. Tampa Bay - McDonagh - (Closing Hand on Puck) - 15:48
What's Next For The Bolts : The Lightning are off for a little bit, with their bye week and the All Star Game coming up. The Bolts are back in action on Wednesday January 30th as they travel to Pittsburgh to take on the Penguins. Puck drop is slated for 8pm with the pregame show starting at 730pm on NewsRadio WFLA.