In what was billed as a game between two of the best teams in the NHL, the Lightning just could not take advantage of multiple power play opportunities as they fell to the Predators 4-1 on Sunday night at Amalie Arena.
The Bolts went 0 for 5 on the man-advantage and could only muster one goal overall, by Ondrej Palat in the 2nd, against Nashville backup netminder Juuse Saros. Saros stopped 29 of the 30 shots he saw on the evening.
Filip Forsberg was the star of the night for Nashville with two goals and one assists, including a highlight reel goal in the 3rd that really took the wind out of the Lightning's sails.
The Predators got on the board just under eight minutes into the opening period when Ryan Johansen came down on a 2-on-1, slowed almost to a standstill, and then snapped one past Vasilevskiy to give Nashville the 1-0 lead.
Vasilevskiy wasn't his sharpest, making 21 saves on 25 shots.
Oh Captain, My Captain : The team announced early in the third period that Steven Stamkos had a lower-body injury and would not return. Stamkos missed last Monday's game against the Coyotes with a lower-body injury as well.
1. Nashville - Johansen - (Forsberg) - 7:50
1. Nashville - PPG - Forsberg - (Subban, Saros) - 2:46
2. Tampa Bay - Palat - (Stralman) - 7:32
1. Nashville - Forsberg (2) - (Unassisted) - 6:24
2. Nashville - Smith - (Ekholm, Subban) - 9:29
1. Nashville - Sissons - (High Sticking) - 3:06
2. Tampa Bay - Hedman - (Holding) - 3:33
3. Nashville - Hartman - (Tripping) - 12:05
1. Tampa Bay - Palat - (Interference) - 0:47
2. Nashville - Fiala - (Hooking) - 12:36
3. Nashville - Bitetto - (Holding) - 15:57
4. Nashville - Smith - (Delay of Game) - 19:35
What's Next For the Bolts : The Lightning are back on the ice Tuesday night as they welcome the Boston Bruins to Amalie Arena. Puck drop is slated for 7:30pm with the pregame show starting at 6:30pm on our sister station Newsradio 970WFLA.